Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Virginia Easy Access - Financial Help
Text Size: A Minus - Text Resize A Plus - Text Resize

Emergency Preparedness
Financial Help
My Rights:
Who Can Help?

Easy Access

Contact Us
Site Map

Sign in Member Provided Access.

Food Stamps (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP) and Other Benefits

Food Stamps

What are Food Stamps?

Food Stamps are like cash to buy certain foods from approved stores. Approved stores will display either the Quest logo or a picture of a Virginia EBT card.

Once a Food Stamps account is started for your household, automatic deposits are put into your account each month. To use the account, you will also get an EBT Card.

Each time you buy approved foods, the EBT Card will deduct the amount from your account.  You will need a secret Personal Identification Number (PIN) to use the card.  

To apply for food stamps, visit your local Department of Social Services. Visit the VirginiaNavigator website and select “Departments of Social Services” and put in your zip code.  To apply online, visit the Department of Social Services website.



Items that can and cannot be purchased with Food Stamps


These items are okay:

These items are not okay:

back to top

Where can I find out more?

Go to the Department of Social Services website.


Auxiliary Grant

What is an Auxiliary Grant and how do I qualify?


An auxiliary grant is extra income that may be available if you are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or if you are older, blind, or have a disability. To be eligible you must live in an assisted living facility licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services' Division of Licensing Programs. You could also live in an adult foster care home approved by the local department of social services. Not all assisted living facilities accept people who receive the auxiliary grant.


People receiving an auxiliary grant also receive a personal allowance that can be used for:

You cannot use the personal allowance for:

Where can I find out more?


To find out more about the Auxiliary Grant go to the Department of Social Services Auxiliary Grant website.

Easy Access website Housing section.

General Relief

What is General Relief?

Some communities offer an optional General Relief (GR) Program. GR gives you either ongoing or emergency help. Think of GR as a last resort, when you have no other means. GR is paid for through state and local funding. GR may help with:

Where do I apply and find out more?


To find out about GR, call your local department of social services. Visit the VirginiaNavigator website and select “Departments of Social Services” and put in your zip code.

Family Access To Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS)

What is FAMIS?


Virginia’s FAMIS helps families provide health insurance to their children. FAMIS stands for Family Access to Medical Insurance Security.  There is also FAMIS MOMS - for pregnant women; and Smiles For Children - a dental program.


back to top


Quick Topics

Food Stamps

Auxiliary Grant

General Relief



Find Support and Services through VirginiaNavigator

More Questions?
Phone 2-1-1 to get help, or send Email by clicking here:

More Questions? Contact 2-1-1 Virginia

Copyright © 2008
Virginia Division for the Aging
Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
1610 Forest Avenue, Suite 100
Henrico, VA 23229
Toll-Free: 1-800-552-3402 | Richmond/Henrico local: (804) 662-9333
Fax: (804) 662-9354
Web Policy | Adobe Acrobat Reader | Survey
WAI Level A Compliant