Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Virginia Easy Access - Community Supports
Text Size: A Minus - Text Resize A Plus - Text Resize

Emergency Preparedness
Financial Help
My Rights:
Who Can Help?

Easy Access

Contact Us
Site Map

Sign in Member Provided Access.

Homemaker, Chore and Companion Services

What are Homemaker, Chore and Companion Services?

Homemaker and Chore services take place in your home. These are not medical services, but personal services.

You might need a few hours of dusting and laundry. You may need someone to shop for you or fix your meals.

You may use these services for shaving, combing hair, or cutting fingernails. You might like to take a walk. A homemaker could come to your home to assist with walking.


Some chore services may also include yard work and minor repairs.


Companion services occur in your home, too. You may need company. You may need someone to drive you places. Companion services could include homemaker services, too.

What programs and services are available?

Many home care agencies offer these services. You can choose from for-profit or non-profit agencies. You may also hire private individuals. If you have long-term care insurance, your policy may pay for these services. Check your policy to be sure.

What costs are associated with homemaker and companion services?

Home care agencies charge an hourly or per visit rate. With the hourly rate, there may be a minimum number of hours.

If you have Medicaid, Medicaid may pay for companion services. Medicaid will only pay if you meet the criteria for placement in an intermediate-care facility.

back to top

How do I qualify?

Anyone may use their own money buy these services. A doctor’s order is not required.

For Medicaid to pay for companion services, you must be eligible for Medicaid. Then your local health department and social services department will come to your home for a medical screening.

If you have a disability and use the Intellectual Disability Medicaid Waiver (ID) or the Developmental Disabilities Waiver (DD), Medicaid may pay for companion services. To find out about companion services under the ID Waiver, contact your local community services board (CSB). Visit the VirginiaNavigator website and select “Community Services Boards” and put in your zip code. To find out about companion services under the DD Waiver, contact your case manager or services facilitator.

If you do not qualify for Medicaid, call your local Department of Social Services to see if they can help you, or visit the VirginiaNavigator website and select “Departments of Social Services” and put in your zip code.

If you are age 60 or older, your local Area Agency on Aging may be able to help you. Visit the VirginiaNavigator website and select “Area Agency on Aging” and put in your zip code.

back to top

Where can I find out more?


back to top

Quick Topics


Find Support and Services through VirginiaNavigator

More Questions?
Phone 2-1-1 to get help, or send Email by clicking here:

More Questions? Contact 2-1-1 Virginia

Copyright © 2008
Virginia Division for the Aging
Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
1610 Forest Avenue, Suite 100
Henrico, VA 23229
Toll-Free: 1-800-552-3402 | Richmond/Henrico local: (804) 662-9333
Fax: (804) 662-9354
Web Policy | Adobe Acrobat Reader | Survey
WAI Level A Compliant