Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Virginia Easy Access - Transportation
Text Size: A Minus - Text Resize A Plus - Text Resize

Emergency Preparedness
Financial Help
My Rights:
Who Can Help?

Easy Access

Contact Us
Site Map

Sign in Member Provided Access.


Getting to and from places like your job, the doctor, and stores is key to living independently. There may be times in your life when getting around is hard. Driving programs and transportation services can help when you:

What programs and services are available?

Emergency Transportation:

If you have a medical emergency and need to go to the hospital, call 9-1-1  


Non-Emergency Transportation services vary in each community.

To learn about your rights and the Americans with Disabilities Act, visit the Legal Rights page.

For a list of public transit in your area, see the map at the Department of Rail and Public Transportation website.

For ADA accessible rides, ask about "paratransit".

For a list of public transportation in your area, see the map at the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation website.

If you have a disability and want to use public transportation, travel training is available. Call your local Center for Independent Living for information. (VN)

Easter Seals Project Action has Frequently Asked Questions about travel training and can give you information in print and audio CD training materials.

Route to Freedom Teaches students in grades 8 – 12.

If you are a senior, and are concerned about your ability to keep driving, you can take a driving self-assessment. You can take one in the privacy of your own home. Tools like these can help you to decide if something, like a medical condition, may be affecting your driving. Getting professional or medical advice can be a good next step in deciding whether to keep driving.


The Virginia Grand Driver program has driving tips to help you to drive safely, reduce stress, and remain independent. “Car Fit” can also help you have a better “fit” with your vehicle.  As you age, your body changes. Your range of abilities, your vision, and reaction time change too. CarFit teaches you how to adjust your car to make up for these changes.   Visit the Virginia Grand Driver website to find a Car Fit event nearest you


The AARP Website gives information to help drivers refresh their skills.


If you have a disability, you might find the Adaptive Driving Program (ADP) helpful. The program evaluates driving, helps drivers improve auto control, and trains drivers in the use of devices. Drivers also learn how to change their vehicles for wheelchairs and tie-downs. For more information, visit the Virginia Grand Driver website and click on “Resources”.


back to top

Vehicle Modifications


If you need a vehicle to get to work, you may be able to get assistance with Vehicle Modification through the Virginia Division of Rehabilitative Services (DARS-DRS). Contact your local DRS toll-free at 1-800-552-5019 or visit the DARS website.

If you are using Medicaid Waiver services, you may be eligible for Medicaid-reimbursement to change your main vehicle. Learn about Environmental Modifications from your case manager or support person for your Waiver.


The Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center (WWRC) may be helpful. The WWRC Adaptive Driving Program can tell you about the types of autos that best match your special driving needs and the rest of your mobility equipment (for example, if you use a wheelchair or scooter).


The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association sets standards for vendors who modify vehicles. Visit their web site to find a qualified vendor near you or to search through their publications related to driving with a disability.



Vehicle Purchase

Loans: If you are interested in a loan to buy a van or car and make necessary changes, contact the New Well Fund. This Fund used to be called the Assistive Technology Loan Fund Authority. These loans cover autos that are modified to accommodate a specific disability (for example, wheelchair lifts and hand controls), and are secured by the vehicle. Financing for up to 100% of the vehicle may be available.


Dealers: There are private Auto Dealers and Specialized Auto Dealers that sell new and used vehicles that are modified for a variety of riders or passengers with disabilities. Visit one of these websites:


Handicapped Parking Permits

“Disabled parking permits” can be temporary or permanent. To learn more, visit the Division of Motor Vehicles website.


Where can I find out more?

To find a ride in your area, visit VirginiaNavigator, choose: Transportation and put in your ZIP code.

back to top

Quick Topics


Find Support and Services through VirginiaNavigator

More Questions?
Phone 2-1-1 to get help, or send Email by clicking here:

More Questions? Contact 2-1-1 Virginia

Copyright © 2008
Virginia Division for the Aging
Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
1610 Forest Avenue, Suite 100
Henrico, VA 23229
Toll-Free: 1-800-552-3402 | Richmond/Henrico local: (804) 662-9333
Fax: (804) 662-9354
Web Policy | Adobe Acrobat Reader | Survey
WAI Level A Compliant